Followers

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

THAI TUNA SALAD

Thai Tuna Salad aka Nam-prik Pla-tu-na in Thai. 
I understand that there are several versions of Thai Tuna Salad, each varies basically because of different ingredients added to the canned tuna.
This is one of the simplest from the several Tuna Salad recipes which I have picked to try first because it has the least number of ingredients.
I find this salad very appetizing and especially good after resting.  The flavours are well infused after resting, making the shredded cabbage and tuna flakes are very tasty.   My opinion – it is nice, like it with rice.
Recipe adapted from Healthy and Easy Thai Cooking [my this month's selected cookbook for Cookbook Countdown Event #10]
Ingredients
1 canned tuna in water – drain off water
1 tbsp dried prawns – rinsed several times
Some chopped coriander
4 – 5 chilli padi
5 shallots
10 pips garlic
Some finely shredded cabbage – soaked in cold water and drained
Dressing [combined]
2 tbsp fish sauce
2-3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp sugar
2-3 tbsp water

  1. Dry fry shallots, chilli padi and garlic in wok until slightly brown and soft.   Transfer to a pestle and pounded into a paste or blend in blender.  Mix well with dressing, set aside.
  2. Dry fry tuna for a minute.  Dish up into a bowl.
  3. Dry fry dried prawns until fragrant, pounded in a pestle or blended.Combine 1, 2 and 3.  Mix well with chopped coriander.
  4. Line serving platter with shredded cabbage.  Top with tuna salad.  Serve.
I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #10 hosted by 

2 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I am not very fond of tuna but I might like this salad due to the addition of the pounded onions and garlic.

kitchen flavours said...

An interesting salad! I have never used canned tuna for a salad before!