Followers

Thursday, March 1, 2012

CHOCOLATE MARBLE BREAD LOAF [OVERNIGHT DOUGH METHOD]

You must be wondering why I am posting quite a number of loaf bread recipes.  My hubby loves having bread for breakfast.  Sometimes, he even has bread for supper especially when he stays up late to watch football.  That's the reason why I am baking so much bread.  I don't like baking the same thing all the time eventhough my hubby doesn't mind eating the same kind of bread.  I get tired baking and eating the same type, so I have to bake a variety otherwise, I will be bored having bread for breakfast with him almost 7 days a week.   Having bread at home is also a blessing especially  when it rains in the early morning and you do not feel like having breakfast outside.
Occasionally, I will bake some buns but I tried not to do so too often because my hubby will finish them very fast.  Buns are not too good for us because I feel the sugar and fat content are much higher.  Moreover the fillings for the buns are not too healthy especially for us 'senior citizens'.
Today, I baked the Chocolate Marble Loaf Bread.  This is a good bread which I have baked before but did not post the recipe.  The recipe here is for 2 loaves of 500 gm bread [use half the quantity if baking only 1 loaf].  As usual, the 1 loaf is for my friendly neighbour.
Ingredients for Overnight Dough
100 gm bread flour
200 gm plain flour
3.5 tsp instant yeast
250 ml water
  • Mix all ingredients into a soft rough dough.  Cover and leave to proof for at least 1-2 hours or put in plastic bag, tied up without proofing and keep in fridge for at least 4 hours.  Thaw for 15 minutes before adding bread dough ingredients.
Ingredients for Bread Dough
300 gm bread flour
2 tbsp milk powder
3 tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp  salt
1 large egg
6 tsp  cocoa powder [dissolve in hot water to make a thick paste] *
50 ml water [more or less]  
60 gm butter [2 tbsp]
* I used 60 gm cooking chocolate - melted and keep warm
  • Add all the ingredients [except water, butter and cocoa paste] to the sponge dough.  Knead until well combined, then gradually add in water [if necessary] while kneading until a soft dough is formed.  Knead for about 10 minutes then add in butter.  Continue kneading until soft, smooth, elastic and dough does not stick to the fingers [about 15 minutes on high speed].
  • Divide dough into 2 equal portions.  Add cocoa paste to 1 portion and knead until  paste is well incorporated to bread dough.
  • Shape into balls separately and cover each with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough.
  • Divide both plain and cocoa dough into 3 equal portions of 200 gm each.  Roll each portion flat and stack up alternating the plain and cocoa dough.  Flatten and  fold each portion into thirds, then roll swiss roll style into a log.  Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for more than an hour or until double in size.  [You can divide dough into any number of equal portions to make small loaves or braid it by twisting].
  • Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25 minutes.  Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.

No comments: