Followers

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Cinnamon Walnut Loaf Bread [Overnight Dough Method]


Came across Cathy's [Cinnamon Loaf] just after I baked my Carrot Loaf Bread where I added cinnamon powder and loved it very much.  Her posting gave me the idea to bake a new loaf  bread again with cinnamon powder  but I added some walnuts, wow!, I'm happy with the result.  My hubby and myself really enjoyed this lovely bread [soft, moist, fragrant and nutty too] for breakfast.
Stays good even on the third day. I marked this as one of my favourite bread.
Recipe is for making 2 loaves of 500-550gm each. Just half the quantity if baking 1 loaf.
Ingredients for Overnight Dough
150 gm bread flour
150 gm plain flour
3 tsp instant yeast [actual is 3.5 tsp]
250 ml water
  • Mix all ingredients in a mixer bowl into a soft rough dough.  Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave to proof for several hours or overnight at room temperature. 
Ingredients for Bread Dough
300 gm bread flour [I used 270 gm bread flour and 30 gm wholemeal flour]
2 tbsp milk powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp  salt
80 gm chopped toasted walnuts
150 ml water [keep some first, if all is used, the dough may be sticky and difficult to handle]
60 gm butter [I used about 50 gm]
  1. Add all the ingredients [except butter and walnuts] to the overnight dough.  Knead until well combined and dough is soft for about 10 minutes then add in butter.  Continue kneading until soft, smooth and elastic.  Knead a further 3-5 minutes and dough does not stick to the fingers when touched or window pane stage.
  2. Shape into a ball and cover with a clean cloth to proof for 15 minutes or until double in size. Punch down dough.
  3. Divide dough into 2 equal portions.  Roll and fold each portion into thirds, then roll into a rectangular piece.  Sprinkle all over with chopped walnuts then roll up  tightly like swiss roll style into a roulade.  Seal the edges well.   Place in baking tin [Pullman's tin] and leave to proof in oven for an hour or until double in size [almost reaching the rim of the baking tin]. 
  4. Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees C for 30 minutes.  Remove to cool on rack immediately after baking.
Note
When I baked the bread at 160 C [40 minutes] or 170 C [30 minutes], the bread is much softer and moist than baking it at 180 C for 25 minutes.

2 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sound fresh and good.

Kimmy said...

Sonia, I have very high expectation of bread quality and this one is really good. Marked as one of my favorite bread.