Followers

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Vegetarian Egg With Black Fungus

This dish is exactly the same as Sesame Oil Ginger Vegetarian Egg.  For this version, I used vegetarian egg with sesame oil and lots of ginger and black fungus [bok nee] instead of mushrooms.   Simple, tasty and yet appetising with rice.
Vegetarian egg is called tau pau or fresh bean curd sheet that comes in rounds or rectangular form.  For this recipe, choose the round type.

Ingredients
[serves 10]
10 pieces vegetarian egg - pan fried until golden brown
5 florets  of black fungus - soaked and break into small florets
3 tbsp ginger - cut fine shreds [here I used more, rinse once under running water]
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp sesame oil
a dash cooking wine
100 ml water [tau pau will soak  up some of the gravy] 
  1. Heat sesame oil in wok, saute finely cut ginger until aromatic and slightly  crispy.  Set aside.
  2. Add in sauce ingredients and water.   Bring to a boil, then add in black fungus.
  3. Cook for several minutes, then put in the fried vegetarian egg pieces. 
  4. Braised for another 5-10 minutes and add a dash cooking wine.  Add a little more water if you want more gravy.
  5. Dish out to serve with rice.

Notes: Visit this site for it's Nutritional Facts [here]
I'm linking this post  to Little Thumbs Up Event - Soy Beans organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and me, Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Mich from Piece of Cake



Photobucket

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, it is interesting that there is vegetarian egg :) You have a good resource of vegetarian dishes and I shall look them up if I decide to go on a vegetarian diet!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, most vegetarian mock ingredients are made from flour, soya and mushrooms. I try to use natural ingredients when I'm on vegetarian diet cos'I don't know what goes into the mock ingredients which made them tasty so similar to the actual. Meatless dishes are quite interesting and they taste good, too.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

With LTU soy theme, I can see that you are cooking a lot of delicious vegetarian dishes this month... Yum yum!

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, I was on 9-10 days strict vegetarian diet. During this time, lots of soy ingredients are used in the cooking.