Followers

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Vegetarian Sweet Sourish Tempe Curry

Another tempe curry with different flavour from my Vegetarian Tempe Curry. This curry tasted spicy, sweet sourish, quite like Indian style curry.   The tempe is has a nutty fragrance when you munch it.   A delicious vegetarian curry that is good with rice.  
It can be cooked as a semi dry spicy curry and the coconut milk can be replaced by milk.  This one has more gravy cos' I have forgotten to pan fry the potatoes  and cos' I'm giving some to my friend who prefers more watery curries.

Ingredients
[serves 10]
300 gm potatoes - skinned and cut wedges [can parboiled or pre-fried]
200 gm wet gluten [mee keen] - cut bite size pieces [optional]
2 pieces tempe - cut and deep fried until golden
100 gm tofu puffs - halved
2 tomatoes - cut wedges
1 stalk lemongrass - lightly bruised
2-3 sprigs of curry leaves
100 ml oil
50 ml coconut milk
1 tbsp white rice vinegar
2 cups water
Ingredients - Curry Paste [Combine together]
1 tbsp halba 
25 gm meat curry powder
1 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp salt to taste
1 tbsp sugar to taste
  1. Heat oil in wok,  fry tempe until golden.  Dish out.
  2. Use the oil to saute curry paste, curry leaves and lemongrass till aromatic and oil rises. 
  3. Add in potatoes and wet gluten pieces [can replace with more tofu puffs] to cook.  Stir fry to combine well with curry paste.   
  4. Add in water.  Bring it to boil until potatoes are almost soft.   Add in tofu puffs, tomatoes and  seasoning to taste.  Cook for several minutes.
  5. Lastly add in fried tempe to mix, off fire.  Dish out into bowl to serve with rice.
Note: This vegetarian curry is without onions or garlic because the dish is for vegetarian diet for religious reason.  You can pre-fried or parboiled the potatoes, then less water is required.

Notes: Visit this site for its Nutritional Facts [Here]

I'm linking this post  to Little Thumbs Up Event - Soy Beans
 organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and me, Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Mich from Piece of Cake

Photobucket


8 comments:

mui mui said...

Hi Kimmy,
Oh wow! Yummy tempeh curry!
I was thinking of cooking tempeh with sambal, now your tempeh curry is tempting me more :D
Thanks for sharing this to LTU!
mui

Alice said...

I dun think my kids will like this, but I surely will enjoy this dish with hopefully only 1 (if not, more) bowl of hot fluffy rice :)

Unknown said...

What a lovely tempeh curry! I love tempeh.

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui Mui, tempeh with sambal and anchovies is also good with Nasi Lemak or plain rice. This curry can be cooked dry, too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Alice, try getting your kids to eat the fried tempe that's not cook in curry. They may like it on its own.

Kimmy said...

Hi Mich, I love tempeh cooked the spicy way.

Ivy Sew said...

I love tempeh too and used to cook this when I run out of idea what to cook, hahaha.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ivy, more popular with the Malays and we tend to overlook this ingredient.