Followers

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sri Lankan Fiery Pork Curry

This was supposed to be my first Sri Lankan curry that I wanted to cook earlier but I ended up cooking the curry with fish [Sri Lankan Curry Fish] and chicken [Sri Lankan Curry Chicken].   Both curries were really good - aromatic, spicy, sourish and I like the thick consistency of the gravy.
This time, I cooked the curry with pork meat.    My hubby said is good [spicy but light].
Ingredients
[recipe adapted from Curry and Comfort with some modifications]
[serves 5]
500 kg lean pork cut into 1 inch cubes [I cut into thick strips - 1 cm]
Marinade for Pork 
2 tbsp red chilli powder [I used thick chilli boh]
2 tbsp meat curry powder
1 tsp tumeric powder
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp grated garlic
2 tbsp cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
  • mix marinade and marinate pork for at least 30 minutes or overnight [forgotten to take picture of the marinated meat].
Aromatics/Spices:
2 stalks lemongrass - lightly bruised
1 large onion - chopped
4 green small chillies - chopped
4 sprigs curry leaves
1-2 tsp fenugreek
6-7 cloves 
6-7 cardamon pods
1 cinnamon stick
3 tbsp oil
250 ml water or thin coconut milk [enough to cover meat]
125 ml thick coconut milk or milk 
1 tsp each of salt and sugar to taste
  1. Heat oil in pan, fry aromatics until fragrant.  Add in marinated meat.  Fry for 3-5 minutes until oil separates and aromatic.  Add in water.
  2. Continue to stir fry until water boils, reduce heat to simmer for 25-30 minutes [add more water if the curry is too dry].
  3. Add in milk or thick coconut milk and seasoning to taste once meat is tender.
  4. Dish up to serve with rice.  This curry is more flavourful and tasted better after resting for some time. 

    Notes: Visit this site for its' Nutritional Facts [here]

4 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

This looks delicious! Pork curry is one of my favourites!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, it's good no doubt but needs a longer cooking time compared to chicken and fish.

PH said...

Kimmy, I haven't tried pork with curry yet. It should be delicious!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, my mum used pork belly for her curry but I like this one with lean meat. More healthier.