After baking my first easy to succeed Sponge Cake [see this post] which was good and given to my MIL, the urge to bake another is so strong. Why not bake another with cocoa flavour, then?
Recipe Source - Cook.Bake.Love [with slight modifications]Ingredients
[use 7" loose base round baking tin]
4 medium egg yolks
40 gm castor sugar
40 gm melted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence [optional]
80 gm cake flour - sifted
26 gm cocoa powder - sifted
4 medium egg whites
65 gm castor sugar
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until light, add in melted butter and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till frothy and add sugar in 3 additions. Beat until soft peaks.
- Fold 1/3 of meringue into egg yolk mixture and mix well. Return the batter to meringue, fold in using a rubber spatula.
- Sieve in flour and cocoa powder. Fold in using a rubber spatula.
- Pour into prepared tin, baked in preheated oven at 140 degrees C for 25 minutes, then increase to 170 degrees C and bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until cake is done [Angel baked the cake for 30 minutes at 175 degrees C].
- Remove cake and drop the pan from a height of 20 cm onto table top [this is to prevent the cake from shrinking when cooled]. Invert cake to cool on wire rack before removing from pan.
- Slice cake to serve.
- The height of this cake using 7" pan is 6 cm.
- Use loose bottom baking tin, no need to line of grease.
- Add 1/2 tsp of baking powder to the flour - optional.
- Can use 8" round cake pan or two 6" round pan - as per Angel's recipe.
I'm submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up June 2014 Event - Butter
hosted by Jozelyn of Spice Up My Kitchen