Followers

Monday, July 21, 2014

Coffee Flavour Mushi Pan [Japanese Steamed Cake] 蒸しパン

These were made at the same time I did the basic, chocolate and marbled Mushi Pan [here].  For this Mushi Pan, I followed Agnes's recipe [here] but I replaced the milk with coffee milk.   I used Vietnamese 3 in 1 coffee sachet.  Agnes's mushi pan 'smiled' beautifully but mine doesn't crack at all but the cake tasted good and is soft and moist.  From the comments I received earlier, these steamed cakes need not necessarily crack upon steaming.
Ingredients - with slight modifications
[makes 4 small cakes]
1 large egg
30 gm castor sugar [original uses 40 gm]
60 ml milk coffee [1 sachet 3 in 1 instant coffee  dissolve in 60 ml hot water]
1 tbsp vegetable oil
100 gm cake flour
1 tsp double action baking powder

  1. Whisk egg and sugar lightly in a mixing bowl, add in milk and oil.  Mix till well combined.
  2. Sieve flour and baking powder into egg mixture and whisk with a hand whisk until batter is smooth [the batter is quite thick].
  3. Spoon batter into cupcake casings until 3/4 full and steam for 15 minutes to cook or until the skewer inserted comes out clean.  I used an electric steamer to steam these cakes.
  4. Turn off the heat and remove cakes to cool.  Serve immediately, warm or in room temperature.  These cakes also can be refrigerated and steamed before serving.
     

2 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, very nice and fragrant steamed cakes! I think I would prefer without cracks as it looks so smooth :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, when the cake cracks it symbolises that it is fluffy, hehehe! I just steamed another lot of cupcakes which is without oil and eggs. Stay tuned...