Followers

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Marble Butter Cake

This is an easy to bake marble butter cake from Florence which I have bookmarked to do for Bake Along Theme - Marbled Butter Cake but didn't managed to do.
The cake is very fragrant especially with the rum, cocoa powder and orange zest which is added.
Recipe Source - Do What I like
Ingredients

[use a 8" x 4" loaf pan]
100 gm butter - room temperature
80 gm castor sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla essence or 1 tsp rum
2 tsp orange zest for tangy flavour [optional]
2 eggs - room temperature
2 tbsp milk
100 gm cake flour
30 gm corn starch
1 tsp baking powder

10 gm cocoa powder
5 gm icing sugar
2 tbsp warm milk


  1. Line a loaf pan with baking paper [I used a non stick baking pan].  Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
  2. Sieve cocoa powder and icing sugar, then stir in the milk to get a smooth chocolate paste.  Set aside.
  3. Cream butter, sugar, vanilla essence/rum and salt with electric egg beater till light and fluffy.
  4. Beat in the eggs one at a time till well combined. 
     Stir in the milk.
  5. Cream in the sieved flour mixture (cake flour, corn starch and baking powder) till smooth and well combined. I use my electric egg beater at lowest speed to do this part.
  6. Divide batter into 2 portions and stir the chocolate paste into one of the portion.
  7. Spoon the butter batter and chocolate batter alternatively into the loaf pan
  8. Bake at 170 degrees C for 40- 45 minutes or till cooked.
  9. Remove cake to cool on wire rack.



Photobucket
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe

12 comments:

Victoria Bakes said...

nothing beats a lovely marble cake for tea... love the texture of your cake!

PH said...

Kimmy I love this type of butter cake. Buttery, chocolaty and with orangey aroma too. I see that this is a small recipe and is perfect because I happen to have a small loaf pan. I really feel like baking this cake!

Kimmy said...

Hi Victoria, yes sometimes we do miss something good and as evergreen as a marble cake.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong,I like to try Florence's cake recipes cos' the portion in small and many can be baked in a loaf pan. Easy slicing too.

Veronica said...

Can't say no to a slice of butter cake.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy, yummy ... this loaf size is just right for my small family ... bookmarked 1st. Hee hee ... may I have a slice for my tea break ^-^

Anonymous said...

HALO,,
ps can help,for normal butter cake,can jus omit the coco portion,and do i need to add xtra flour ,,hope u can help me,,
thanks--toey--singapore

Anonymous said...

halo,,
can i jus omit the coco portion for
a normal butter cake,hope u can help,,thanks---toey--sg

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, I supposed you can substitute the cocoa powder with flour for normal butter cake.

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

I have a weakness for butter cake. When I bake them I have to eat them, which of course is bad for my waistline!!! But I am really tempted to make this cake...

Susanne Ng said...

Lovely cake! I can imagine how yummy it is!

Baking Taitai said...

Who can resist a fragrant marble butter cake? Not I for sure! Love the marbling which makes the cake looks like moo moo prints.