Followers

Monday, August 25, 2014

Peach Doll Mooncake 寿桃公仔饼 [Vegetarian]

 This is a lovely Gongzai Biscuit shared by Aunty Young which was adapted from Joceline Lor that attracted my attention.  The dough has lotus seed paste added to it.
Out of curiosity, I made some and found the dough very easy to handle, soft and smooth.  For this dough recipe, I only managed to make 30 with the peach shape mould that I used.  I made this vegetarian that is without applying egg glaze.
The photos below show the syrup and dough before and after resting.
Verdict - it's a good recipe which is a keeper.
Ingredients
[makes 30 pieces]
350 gm plain flour - sifted
230 gm golden syrup
100 gm peanut oil
5 gm alkaline water [1 tsp]
150 gm lotus seed paste
For surface [I omit]
1 egg + 1 tbsp milk, mix well and strained.



  1. In a mixing bowl, add in syrup, peanut oil, alkaline water and lotus seed paste.  Stir mix until well combine.
  2. Add in sifted flour and form dough. Cover the dough with a cloth and rest for 2 - 3 hours.
  3. Divide the dough into portions that fits the mould you are using.   Roll each into a ball.  Dust  mooncake mould with some flour.   Press the dough into mould.  Tap lightly to unmould.   Arrange in a baking tray.
  4. For vegetarian version, bake mooncakes in preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  
  5. After allowing the mooncakes to cool on a metal rack, it can be kept in an air-tight container. It can be kept up to weeks if it is dry enough after baking.




  6. For non-vegetarian version, bake mooncakes in preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.  Remove and leave to cool for about 10 minutes. Brush the top with beaten egg.   Bake in oven again for another 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.

  7. Note:
    * Adding milk to the egg yolk makes it less concentrated so that it is easier to apply it on the surface of the mooncake.
    * Wait till the mooncakes are cooled before the egg is applied to get a more even coloring.
    * Should this mooncake be done correctly, it should be soft, won't stick to your teeth and can be eaten the next day.
    * After allowing the mooncake to cool on a metal rack, it can be kept in an air-tight container. It can be kept up to weeks if it is dry enough after baking.
    Photobucket
    This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe
    I'm sharing this post  to Best Recipes for Everyone August 2014 Event Theme:Mooncake hosted by Fion of  XuanHom’s Mom
       
       

20 comments:

Baking Taitai said...

Kimmy, this is an interesting 公仔饼which has lotus seed paste added to the dough. With this addition, I think it will surely taste better than the normal 公仔饼.

Fion said...

Hi Kimmy,i wish to have one now,because they look so yummy :)
thanks for linking with Best Recipes^^

PH said...

Kimmy, this mooncake has a cute shape. I am sure this is good, like all your other mooncakes :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, first time adding thisand I find it more to the sweet side.

Kimmy said...

Hi Fion, I wish I can share the actual with you too.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I'm getting old and not 'investing' anymore new designs. There is no successor in my family to 'inherit' these investments. I have to make do with my existing moulds.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

This 公仔饼 recipe is really interesting with added lotus seed paste into the dough. Like them in these peaches shapes :D

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, I'm making use of whatever moulds that I have. This one is easily 1/2 century old. Controlling myself not to buy anymore mooncake moulds.

Baby Sumo said...

Interesting mooncake... dont think I've ever tried this before.

Kimmy said...

Hi Baby Sumo, for me anything can try-lah..

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

Hey Kimmy this is interesting!! I don't think I have ever eaten this. Cute shapes!

Kimmy said...

Hi Diana, these mooncakes are tasting better and better each day. Not that oily.

lena said...

hi kimmy, i'm now thinking may start to bake some mooncakes..i've been eyeing on some chocolate mooncake recipe and this one. Hopefully i can try to make a small batch at least..

Kimmy said...

Hi Lena, there are so many different mooncake recipes. All looks good. I'm keeping some for other times. This portion isn't too much. Can bake in one go if you have a big oven. This year I noticed many are baking doll mooncakes.

lena said...

just made that few days ago. Thanks kimmy!

Kimmy said...

Hi Lena, You're welcome.Glad you tried it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Lena, You're welcome.Glad you tried it.

YN said...

Hi Kimmy, is there any specific brand of alkaline water that you use and where do you get it from? Thanks.

Kimmy said...

Hi YN, I always used the normal alkaline water available at grocery stalls but this year I bought a small bottle [size of vanilla essence bottle] cos' I haven't any left. This is more costly. I don't see any difference to the mooncake compared to my past bakes.

Berry Berry said...

Hi Kimmy, I have tried these on Wednesday but when I wanted to take out from my container all of them kinda stick together. I have to kinda peel it off from each other. Hence, most of them got kinda distorted because some of the biscuits came off. I baked at 150C as my oven is hot and I extended 5 more mins. Did I do something wrong? I noticed when it came out from oven, the bottom have some small patches not sure if it is the damp dough. It is not dry enough? Need help here and thanking in advance.