Followers

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

STEAMED MEAT PAUS [SANG YOKE PAUS]


This is another Sang Yoke Pau which I made using Agnes Chang’s recipe for the filling. While mixing the ingredients you can smell the fragrance of it. It is also very easy to prepare. Just combine all the ingredients and chill until required. The filling is not pre-cooked before use. I believe this is why the name is Sang Yoke Pau [meaning uncooked meat paus].
Anyway, the filling is fragrant and the pau skin is soft, moist and chewy.  Nice.

Recipe adapted from Agnes’s book – Let’s Eat [slightly modified]
Ingredients For Filling
300 gm pork or chicken – coarsely minced [I used 50/50 of both meat]
100 gm water chestnuts or sengkuang [I used sengkuang]
2 shallots – peeled and grated
½ inch ginger – skinned and grated
1 stalk spring onions – diced
3 tbsp water
Seasoning
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp wine
1 tsp each of sugar and sesame oil
½ tsp of salt and msg
¼ tsp pepper
1 tbsp cornflour
  1. Combine all the ingredients and add in the seasoning. Mix well until it becomes a sticky paste and the water well absorbed. Chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours before using.
  2. For the pau skin, I used the Starter Dough Method recipe from my earlier post because this is a good pau skin recipe.
Ingredients for Pau Skin - starter dough method 
Recipe Source - No Frills Recipes
[makes 20 paus]
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
120 ml lukewarm water [original uses 100 ml]
130 gm pau flour - sifted
  • Mix ingredients together into a soft and rough dough.  Cover and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
370 gm pau flour - sifted
100 gm caster sugar [original uses 125 gm]
120-130 ml water  [original uses 100-115 ml]
2 tsp double action baking powder [original uses 2 1/8 tsp]
5 tsp shortening
Using a Dough Mixer or Hand Knead
  1. Combine all the ingredients [except shortening] with the yeast dough in a mixing bowl.  Knead until well combined [about 5-10 minutes].  Then add in the shortening, continue to knead until soft, smooth and elastic.   I find the dough texture is quite similar to that of my tortoise buns [Mi Koo].
  2. Shape into a ball and cover to rest for about 30 minutes [original is for 1-1 1/2 hours] or until double in size.   
  3. Punch down dough and remove dough to a floured surface.
  4. Divide into 20 equal portions [about 45-50 gm] and roll into balls.  
  5. Flatten each ball, then roll into flat circle.
  6. Wrap filling with each flatten dough.  Gather the edges and shape into pleated paus or round balls.  Place on parchment or greased proof  paper in the steaming tray.
  7. Leave to prove for 45 minutes from the time you finished shaping the last pau or until double in size.  
  8. Steam over high heat for 10-12 minutes in a steamer.  Off heat and leave paus for a further 2-3 minutes before uncovering and remove to cool on wire rack. 
This post is also linked to the Best Recipes for Everyone August 2015 Event (Theme: Dim Sum) organised by Fion XuanHom's Mum Kitchen Diary) and hosted by May (厨苑食谱 @ mayck-law.blogspot.com
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #26 [August 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

17 comments:

Mohammad Obaid said...

Nice!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

Hi Kimmy, These buns look so delicious! Especially the filling and it is really making me drooling!

DG said...

Kimmy, your meat paus look so tempting. I bookmark this, would like to try it one day.

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

How I wish I have your skills, Kimmy! Your paus look so good and delicious!

Kimmy said...

Thanks Mohammad.

Kimmy said...

Hi May, I like the taste of this filling more than my previous post on this paus. It is fragrant and tasty. The pau skin is perfect, soft moist and chewy.

Kimmy said...

Hi DG, do give this a try. Skin dough is easy to handle and filling is tasty. You can shape it anyway you like, just make sure the edges are well sealed.

Kimmy said...

Thanks Jasline, so far so good. I believe it is practice that makes it perfect. The recipe is a keeper.

PH said...

Kimmy, another delicious pau from you! I haven't got started yet hee..hee... but I must try it soon :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you probably will be seeing many more postings on paus cos' I have one book all on paus. So far, I'm still very confident with my 2 basic pau skin recipes. The one with 350 gm and 500 gm pau flour [small and big portions]. I may use the filling recipes from this book and my basic pau skin recipes. Sure boleh...

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I've been meaning to make sang yoke pau for weeks! I've tried Agnes Chang's recipe before and like it very much. I did not take any photos as I thought that I would be making them again, and that was ages ago! Hopefully during the school holidays I will have some extra time to make some! :)

Chloe said...

Hi kimmy. Your pleating looks so good. I tried this recipie and tasted really good. You were right about the dough. Very pliable and easy to handle. The bao skin is very soft too. Thanks for sharing. I like all kinds of bao and look forward to more bao recipies from you. Thanks chloe

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, I'm so glad that your baos turned out well and good. Practice makes perfect. You can shape it any shape you feel comfortable. Do check out my other recipes under the Pau Label. I think there are lots of them for you to try. You would notice that several are with this pau skin recipe and another is my 'Sure Can' pau recipe. Happy pau making.

Chloe said...

Hi Kimmy. Just to let u know I tried this recipie again. Good results and I sprayed one batch with water before steaming. To me, there is really no difference. Of course my pleating needs a lot more practice. Thanks and will try out your bangkit recipie next. Hope it comes out melty. I like zoe's painstaking work. Thanks for sharing. Chloe

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, thanks for the feedback. Me too feels that there is no difference cos' I have made many, many paus without this step and they are okay. For the Kuih Bangkit making, make sure you knead the dough with you palm as you mold them. BTW, not to worry if your dough is not wet and could be crumbly after you have kneaded the dough. It should be like this.

DG said...

Kimmy,

Finally I make this and link to you. Love it and delicious. Thanks again for sharing :P

Kimmy said...

Hi DG, Glad that you tried and like it. These days, it is always worth while to make paus at home cos' at least we know exactly what is in the filling and skin. Definitely more hygenic.