Followers

Monday, November 30, 2015

STEAMED BANANA CAKE

Here is an easy steamed banana cake recipe....  I had jotted down this recipe from somewhere in my little notebook but forgotten to write down the source. Sorry if this is your recipe, please notify me so that I can link it to yours. I can’t remember whether it is from a printed media or blog.
Anyway, this steamed banana cake turned out well. It is soft, moist but not dense, has the fragrance of the cinnamon that blends well with banana flavour.  The sweetness is acceptable to me. By the way, I used the Cavendish bananas which I bought from Tesco.
With this recipe you can get to enjoy banana cake, steamed instead of baked or even replace the oily fried banana cake [ kuih kolok].
Ingredients
[use a 6 inch square baking tin or aluminium foil tray]
3 eggs
60-80 gm brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
65 ml corn oil
200 gm mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp Rum
100 gm plain flour
1 tsp each of baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder
  1. Prepare steamer and greased baking tin.
  2. Sieve flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon powder together, set aside.
  3. Whisk eggs, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Drizzle in the corn and continue to whisk until well combined. Add in mashed bananas, mix well.
  4. Fold in the sifted ingredients lightly until well combined.
  5. Pour batter into baking pan and steamed over medium high heat for 20 minutes. Test with a skewer , if it comes out clean then the cake is done.
  6. Remove to cool on wire rack before slicing to serve.

6 comments:

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy,
This steamed banana cake looks good to me. I'm exploring some steamed cakes recipe. Glad this is fuss free. Thanks for sharing!

PH said...

Kimmy, I love banana cake but have never had one that is steamed. I think it should be good as the steamed chocolate cakes I tried turned out so well. I must try this recipe when I have leftover bananas.

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, these days, me too going for steamed cake recipes. Sometimes, I made several types in one go like paus, kuihs and cakes then I need not have to dry my bamboo steamer under the sun so often.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, you can try this recipe cos'only a small portion of banana is needed. The steamed cake is moist and not too sweet.

Chloe said...

Hi kimmy. This banana cake looks so moist. Question: whisking the eggs and sugar do u use hand whisk or machine to beat till fluffy? Also if using baking pan do u need to line base and grease the sides. Thanks for sharing your delish recipie. Chloe

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, I used an electric mixer to whisk the eggs and sugar. It is advisable to line the steaming tray for easy removal of the cake. Usually, for steaming cake or kuih in a pan, I will line it with cling wrap. They wouldn't stick after cooling.