Followers

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

GOLDEN FRAGRANT PRAWNS

This dish is a CNY festive dish quite similar to Amy Beh’s recipe ‘He Ha Tai Siew’ [aka Happiness All Over] shared in her book ‘At Home With Amy Beh’. But this recipe below is a simplified version with minor changes to the ingredients and method.
Yet it turns out delish, very appetizing fried prawns, with aromatic sweet and sour sauce which is not too much but just enough to coat the prawns.

Recipe adapted from my selected cookbook for Cookbook Countdown Event #3] - Home Cooking Magazine [January 2001] with modifications 


Ingredients
300-400 gm large prawns – trim and leave shell and head intact. Marinate with some salt and sugar.
1 Bombay onion- peeled and cut wedges
1 stalk lemongrass – sliced 
1 garlic – peeled and sliced
1-2 sprigs curry leaves – washed
4 dried chillies – soaked and cut half
1 tbsp dried prawns – soaked and coarsely chopped 
Some cooking oil
Sauce Ingredients [combined]
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp water

  1. Heat oil in a non-stick wok, fry prawns for a minute on each side or until it turns bright red in colour, push aside.
  2. Add in the curry leaves, dried chillies, lemongrass, garlic and onions until crispy and fragrant. 
  3. Add in the sauce ingredients, bring to boil until bubbly, and stir fry all ingredients until well mixed and the prawns are well coated with the sauce.
  4. Dish up and serve immediately.

I'm submitting this post with Cookbook Countdown hosted by 

9 comments:

EmilyC said...

Lovely dish, can eat an extra bowl of rice with just this alone!

kitchen flavours said...

If I make this dish, I got to make a big plate as my family love prawns! Looks delicious!

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, I supposed it can be for One Dish Meal with some salad leaves.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I bought these prawns at the hypermarket and wasn't sure if they are fresh. I was wrong, they were fresh and good. Regretted, should have bought more.

PH said...

Kimmy, this is such a flavorful prawn dish. Even those who are not fans of prawns will enjoy it very much (you know who I am talking about hee..hee...)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I know, I know. My 'old man' is one of them but yet he said this dish is good. Prawns very fresh. Cooked fried fish this way at my MIL's place and she likes it. too.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, thanks for sharing this recipe, it looks so delicious, you are a great cook! Will try it this weekend since I have all the ingredients, hope I don't over cook the prawns ;)

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, hope the photos will help you not to overcook the prawns, hehehe!. Honestly, I'm quite worried the prawns are uncooked but they turned out well and nice.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, I tried this and it was yummy, I like the fragrance from the curry leaves! Thanks for sharing!