Followers

Friday, June 17, 2016

DRIED FIGS, YOKE CHOK CHICKEN SOUP

This is an easy and simple herbal soup which is soothing for the body.  A rather quick cook soup than that with various herbs which requires long simmering time to bring out the flavours.  This one requires the soup to be boiled for 5 minutes, then simmer over low heat for another 30 minutes.
It is a clear soup that is sweet and fulfilling and not oily with the skin removed.  Lovely soup to go with rice.
What is Yoke Chok? - This is a yellowish root that usually comes in silvers.  It is said that Buddhist priests use it for its anaphrodisiac properties.  Also reputedly good for treatment of pancreas, lungs and throat ailments.
Recipe adapted from my selected cookbook for this month's Cookbook Countdown Event#6 - Home Cooking June 2001 issue [with modifications]

Ingredients
1/2 a chicken or 2 piece chicken whole legs - skinned and cut bite size pieces
5 pieces dried figs
10 strips of yoke chok
3-4 red dates
1 litre water
1/2 tsp salt to taste
  1. Blanch chicken in boiling water for several seconds.  Drained and rinsed.
  2. Bring water, dates and herbs to boil in a soup pot or claypot for 5-10 minutes before adding the chicken.
  3. Bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender.  Serve hot.
  4. You may simmer the soup for longer time to get a more concentrated soup as a result of evaporation. 



I am sharing this post with Cookbook Countdown hosted by 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, this year you get lot of opportunity and share more foodie blog and its recipe.restaurant in satya nketan delhi

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
This nutritious soup looks good. I have not boiled herbal soups for quite sometime.
I should cook soups like this more often at home!

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! I love to eat dried figs. Now can try put into soup.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, love this kind of soup with the unique flavour of the herbs and not oily at all.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, the dried figs give a natural sweetness to this soup.

Amy Baking Diary said...

Good for skin! I like it :D

Anonymous said...

Hello Kimmy,thanks for sharing. My family likes this soup so much especially my kids. I even added some walnuts as I have seen the Chinese medicine stall at my place selling this as brain tonic. All herbs are similar with yours except they added some walnuts in it. Probably the walnuts acts as nourishment to the brain.
Shirlynn

Kimmy said...

Hi Shirlynn, thanks for the feedback. I like this soup too and yes walnuts are good nourishment for the brain like gingko nuts. Talking about this, I must cook it again. Love the clear soup. We ate up all the ingredients except the bones, hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Hi, can I replace the yoke chok with something else?

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, I suppose you can replace with fresh wai san. Yoke chok has a unique sweet flavour and is nice to chew on it.