Followers

Friday, December 30, 2016

CNY 2017 - MELON SEEDS WALNUT COOKIES

Loads of cookies recipes to try and share this coming Chinese New Year but too bad, my mom had an operation recently and things changed a little.   I have been kept busy with extra duties to carry out and some plans have to change too lest I would be too stress out.   Anyway,  still need to make some cookies for my mother in-law, my mom and siblings.   I will try to make as many varieties as I can if time permits.

This is one of the new recipes which I tried after baking the usual Chinese New Year cookies [Kuih Bangkit and Peanut Cookies].   This cookie has quite a number of ingredients from nuts to seeds and raisins.   It is nutty, crunchy and fragrant, sure nice to munch on while watching my favourite TV shows.  The dough is a bit dry but binds well.

Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No.99 with modifications.   I have substituted pumpkin seeds with melon seeds and reduced the sugar from 150 grams to 110 grams as I prefer my cookies less sweet.
Ingredients
[makes 100 pieces]
170 gm butter
110 gm brown sugar
1 egg
350 gm plain flour - sifted
½ tsp baking powder –sifted
¼ tsp salt
60 gm raisins – soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained
80 gm toasted walnuts – chopped
100 gm toasted melon seeds

  1. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, then add in the egg.  Continue beating until pale and creamy.
  2. Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt, mix well. Add in the raisins, walnuts and seeds.  Stir well.
  3. Spoon the batter onto a lined baking tray.
  4. Bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
  5. Remove and cool on wire rack before storing in an airtight container.
                    

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, you still managed to bake cookies and that is good. Let me wish you and your family a Happy New Year 2017! Speedy recovery to your mum and may she get well soon.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, thanks for your well wishes. My mum already discharged and thanks to my sister in-law who is caring for her at home, since then I could stay home to make some cookies. My mum has her follow-up check up and stitches removed yesterday. Should be able to get back her strength soon.

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Hi Kimmy, your cny cookies make me start feel the mood. I think i should start to bake some.
Wish your mum speedy recover and you and family happy 2017.

Kimmy said...

Hi Aunty Young, I have quickly started baking cookies and quite soon finishing. Baking less and less these days. Thanks for your well wishes, my mum is recovering well with the dedicated care given by my sister in-law. Wishing you and family 'A Great New Year 2017'.