Followers

Monday, May 22, 2017

EZCR#95 - YAM MUSTARD CHICKEN SOUP

If you love yam, if you love thick soup, if you love mustard leaves [kai choy], then this soup is a must try.  The thickness texture [starchiness] of the soup is not from any thickening but comes from the yam pieces that are boiled till soft and fragrant.
This is a lovely soup with only 3 main ingredients and seasoning.
I like this soup and had it as a light lunch as this soup has carbo, fibre and protein.  Simply easy and yet delicious.

Ingredients
1 large chicken whole leg – skin removed and cut into chunky pieces, blanched and rinsed
150 gm yam – cut chunky pieces
100 gm mustard leaves – stems only and cut into pieces
Some ginger slices
Seasoning
Salt, pepper and cooking wine to taste
800 ml water

  1. Bring  water to boil in a soup pot, add in ginger slices.
  2. Add in chicken and yam pieces.  Let it boil for 10-15 minutes.
  3. Continue to boil until yam pieces are soft, add in mustard stems to cook till tender but still greenish in colour.
  4. Add in seasoning to taste.  Scoop into serving bowl.
  5. Serve hot.

1 comment:

PH said...

Kimmy, I love yam. But I hardly eat as it would be too much for me to consume on my own. I also love kai choy which I usually eat stir fried with garlic. I would love this soup very much.